What Should I do if I Receive a Call that a Loved One has been Arrested?
Try to gather as much information as possible about the arrest and write it down to provide to your criminal lawyer later. Keep in mind that the call is being recorded so if you are called directly by someone who has been arrested, don't ask any questions about what they did or didn't do and remind them that the call is being recorded before asking any questions.
The Following Questions may be Useful
- What is the name, birthdate, and social security number of the arrested person?
- What has he/she been criminally charged with?
- Which law enforcement agency made the arrest?
- Where is the arrested person being held?
- Has bail been set and, if so, what is the amount?
When a family member or friend, who has been arrested, calls, remind him or her that they have a right to an attorney and should call one of the best criminal defense lawyers they can, and that they are not required to respond to police questioning until the criminal attorney is present.