Lawyers offer more than just legal information. They can provide strategic advice, not to mention years of experience and skill. If you or someone you know needs a lawyer, it's important to find the right lawyer for you because not every lawyer or law firm is the same. So, how should you go about finding a lawyer? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Set expectations: It's a good idea before you hire your lawyer to set your own expectations and decide whether or not you want a lawyer to represent you, or you solely wish to receive information in relation to your case.
- Narrow down your search field: Every lawyer knows the legal system, but you'll want to find a lawyer who specializes in your legal matter. For example, you wouldn't hire a divorce lawyer when you are trying to settle a case over a traffic accident.
- Personal referrals: Is it possible that you know someone who has been in a similar legal situation as you and used a lawyer before? Ask friends or family if they have been represented well and charged fairly.
- Professional referrals: Maybe you already have an attorney but would like to find a lawyer who specializes in your legal matter. Ask for references in their professional network.
- Do your research: Find out how a law firm handles fees and case management details including communication and paperwork.
- Meet your lawyer: Meet your lawyer in person. Many law firms offer consultations that you should take advantage of. If you have already spoken to your lawyer on the phone, now is the time to further develop a client-attorney relationship.
- Ask questions and evaluate: Now that you have met your lawyer, it's time to ask any questions and determine whether or not to hire them!
Whether you are seeking a lawyer for family law, bankruptcy, criminal defense, personal injury, consumer law, or other, you are going to want the best individual to represent you and fight for your rights. To schedule a FREE consultation with the experienced attorneys at Dolci & Weiland, please call (630) 261-9098.